As part of Thunderbolt™ certification, mandatory testing ensures broad compatibility across Mac*, Windows*, or Chrome* OS, and interoperability of computers, cables, and accessories from different brands, so you can be confident that your devices work well together regardless of the OS or hardware manufacturer.
Simplicity, Reliability, and Performance Distinguish Thunderbolt™ as the Best USB-C
A single Thunderbolt™ port enables high-speed data transfer, video output, and power delivery to compatible devices over one cable, including charging a laptop3.
Unlike other USB Type-C ports, where the bandwidth may be limited, Thunderbolt™ ports always guarantee 40 Gbps total bandwidth dynamically allocated for video and data. Thunderbolt™ is so fast you can transfer a 5 GB file in about a second over the cable.
Enjoy low-latency gaming, immersive creation, and simplified productivity with Thunderbolt™ technology that supports multiple premium monitors of any type4, such as two FHD 240Hz or 4K color-accurate monitors.
Thunderbolt™ 4 certification requires at least one Thunderbolt port on the computer to support laptop charging3, unlike laptops featuring other USB-C ports that don’t guarantee system charging. Additionally, all Thunderbolt™ 3 and 4 ports provide 15W power to Thunderbolt accessories or to charge companion devices like cell phones.
USB 3 / DP
|40 Gbps bandwidth|
|15W power to run accessories|
|Mandatory testing and certification|
|2 x 4K/60Hz monitors|
|Required PC charging3 on at least one computer port|
|Universal 40Gbs cables up to 2m|
|Up to 4 Thunderbolt™ ports on accessories|
|System wake from sleep|
|Intel® VT-d based DMA protection|
Work and Learn
Effortlessly upgrade your workspace experience to boost productivity and ergonomic comfort by adding a Thunderbolt™ dock that connects large 4K monitors and other accessories to your laptop. Whether at home or at office, Thunderbolt™ technology works anywhere for a universal connection you can rely on regardless of manufacturer brand.
Check out which type of ports your system has by:
- Looking for the Thunderbolt™ icon on devices (next to the USB-C port).
- Checking the product’s I/O specification online to see if it lists Thunderbolt™ ports.
- Downloading Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) to detect what ports you have on your PC.
Thunderbolt™ technology delivers the best-in-class capabilities to drive high-bandwidth data, power, and video transfers for up to five devices on one connection. Gamers, creators, and workers can enjoy a clean desktop space with multiple displays and accessories on a powerful connectivity standard. Learn how Thunderbolt™ technology delivers the best experiences with simple, powerful, and flexible connectivity.
Checking the product’s I/O specification online to see if it lists Thunderbolt™ ports. Downloading Intel® Driver & Support Assistant (Intel® DSA) to detect what ports you have on your PC.
No. You don’t need to install any software or drivers to make things work. Connect your computer with any Thunderbolt™ accessory, and they simply work together.
Thunderbolt™ 4 technology became integrated in the CPU starting with 11th Gen Intel® Core™ processors. Today, approximately 90% of 11th gen Intel Core processor-based laptops have Thunderbolt™ ports.
At least one Thunderbolt™ 4 port is required on all Intel® Evo™ and Intel® Core™ vPro® processor family-based laptops.
Look for the Thunderbolt™ icon on your PC (next to the USB-C port) or check the product I/O specification for Thunderbolt technology.
Thunderbolt™ 4 technology increases minimum performance requirements, expands end-to-end solution capabilities, and is USB4 specification compliant. Specific improvements on Thunderbolt™ 4 (over Thunderbolt 3) include the following:
- Thunderbolt™ 4 technology raises the minimum required PCIe bandwidth (up to 32Gbps) to enable high-speed data transfers.
- Docks and monitors can have more Thunderbolt™ ports (up to 4) to simplify the modern workspace.
- For thin and light notebooks that require less than 100W to charge, at least one computer port is required to support charging.
- Laptops with Thunderbolt™ 4 ports connected to Thunderbolt docks wake up with a touch of the keyboard or mouse even when the lid is closed.
- Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (Intel® VT-d) based security helps prevent peripheral devices from unauthorized access to system memory.
- Laptop Thunderbolt™ ports have more power (15W) available to run accessories.
- Universal Thunderbolt™ cables offer 40 Gbps and are up to 2 m to make cable selection fast and easy.
Product and Performance Information
The CES Innovation Awards are based upon descriptive materials submitted to the judges. CTA did not verify the accuracy of any submissions or of any claims made and did not test the item to which the award was given.