Convert an ESD File to a WIM File for Driver Updates in Your Windows Image*
Convert files from Electronic Software Delivery (ESD) form to Windows Imaging Format* (WIM*) if you need to add updated device drivers.
How to convert files:
Windows image files may be in the form of an ESD. Files must be WIM to make updates to drivers. Use the Deployment Image Servicing and Management* (DISM) tool from Microsoft to update image files.
To convert the image files, follow the steps below:
|Note||Always back up all files before following the process below.|
- Create a folder (ex c:\Win10USB).
- Go to the sources directory on your installation media.
- Copy the install.esd file to the Win10USB folder.
- Open Command Prompt as Administrator (Windows Key + X -> Command Prompt (Admin)).
- Change directory to the working directory (cd c:\Win10USB).
- Show the available images within the install.esd file.
dism /Get-WimInfo /WimFile:install.esd
- Determine the Index number to modify (in this example we are modifying Index 2)
- Export the image to a WIM file.
dism /export-image /SourceImageFile:install.esd /SourceIndex:2 /DestinationImageFile:install.wim /Compress:max /CheckIntegrity
You now have an install.wim file alongside the install.esd.
Note If more versions of the OS need to be exported, simply repeat Step 7 changing the corresponding SourceIndex and it will be added.
- Backup the original install.esd and then replace on your installation media with the new install.wim.