Intel to Invest More Than €33 Billion in R&D and Manufacturing in the EU
Initial investment plans in France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Poland and Spain will advance a world class semiconductor ecosystem in Europe.
Intel Invests in Cutting-edge Manufacturing in the EU
Intel today announced plans to invest an initial 17 billion euros into a leading-edge semiconductor fab mega-site in Germany, to establish a new research and development (R&D) and design hub in France, and to expand capacities in R&D, manufacturing and foundry services in Ireland, Italy, Poland and Spain.
This is the first phase of Intel’s plans to invest as much as 80 billion euros in the European Union over the next decade along the entire semiconductor value chain—from R&D to manufacturing and advanced packaging. With this landmark investment, Intel will bring its most advanced technology to the continent, helping the EU create a next-generation European chip ecosystem and addressing the global need for a more balanced and resilient supply chain.
€17B Semiconductor Mega-fab in Magdeburg, Germany
As a first step, Intel plans to invest €17 billion in a state-of-the-art semiconductor mega-fab in Magdeburg. Planning for the first two factories begins immediately.
- Construction is subject to the EU Commission and the German authorities approving the subsidy.
- With the start of production, we will use our latest transistor technologies for manufacturing and serve the demand of the Foundry customers.
- The almost 1,000 hectare area near Magdeburg in Saxony-Anhalt offers space for up to eight connected chip factories and partner companies.
- As part of the investment, Intel will employ around 7,000 construction jobs over the course of the build and will create 3,000 permanent high-tech jobs at Intel, and tens of thousands of additional jobs across suppliers and partners.
Opportunities at Intel in Germany
- If you are interested in becoming an Intel Supplier, please click here.
- If you are interested in joining our team, we encourage you to explore the different types of careers at Intel on our Jobs website.
- For general inquiries, contact us.
Intel has a long-standing commitment to sustainability and continually strives to minimize its impact on the environment. The new site will be designed and constructed with green building principles, and the new factories have a goal to be powered by 100% renewable electricity, achieve net positive water use, and achieve zero waste to landfill in support of Intel’s 2030 sustainability goals.
Innovation and AI for Youth
Intel has been active in the German education system for decades with various programs such as:
- Intel® Skills for Innovation supports teachers in preparing students for life and work in an increasingly digital world.
- Intel AI for Youth engages youth in an inclusive way with AI technology and strengthens social skills.
Be Part of the Change
Ready to join Intel? Whether you're looking for an internship, temporary position or full-time position in engineering, software development and everything in between - we're always looking for the best and brightest to join our team.